Section 6. Outreach and Information Campaigns for Wetlands and Watersheds
How does a municipality get information about wetlands across to landowners, whether it is wetlands functions and values or regulations? How does a municipality get landowners to care about wetlands and their existence? How does a municipality get landowners to then participate in a wetland and watershed management plan, follow through on a wetlands permitting process, protect their wetland in perpetuity or participate in any other activity involving wetland management? An outreach and information campaign is a key aid to municipalities in accomplishing these goals. Educating the various players as to their roles and responsibilities is a vital step. Below are some resources that can direct a community or organization in establishing and implementing a wetland and watershed outreach and information campaign. The enclosed resources like most of those contained here in may be photocopied and distributed as needed.
- Wetlands Outreach: Getting the Message Out: New Techniques and Partners for the Millennium [338 kb PDF file]. Association of Wetland Managers, 2001.
- Welcome to the Wetlands. Poster; EPA Region 5, 1997; Watersheds. Poster. EPA Region 2, 1999. Both posters available by calling the EPA Wetlands Hotline at 800-832-7828
- “Tips for Wetlands Protection.” EPA Region 5, 1999. Available from the Wetlands Hotline: 800-832-7828
- Wetlands Walk Manual and Wetlands Walk Manual - Data Sheets. EPA Region 10, 1996.
- The Volunteer Monitor: Wetlands. National Newsletter of Volunteer Water Quality Monitoring, Spring 1998.
- The Young Scientist’s Introduction to Wetlands. Army Corps of Engineers, 1993.
- The Wetlands Reading List. EPA OWOW Wetlands, 1997.
Izaak Walton League of America (IWLA) www.iwla.org
IWLA American Wetlands Month Campaign Kit www.iwla.org/sos/awm/awmkit.html
USFWS Wetlands Reports and Publications http://wetlands.fws.gov/Pubs_Reports/publi.htm
National Wildlife Federation www.nwf.org/wetlands/
National Audubon Society www.audubon.org
National Association of Conservation Districts www.nacdnet.org
The Watercourse: “WOW! The Wonders of Wetlands”
NRCS Backyard Conservation Series http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/national/newsroom/features/?&cid=nrcs143_023574
EPA Wetlands Information Hotline Publications www.epa.gov/owow/wetlands/wetline.html