Page 5 of 7
Goal D: To integrate wetlands into broader water programs including water quality protection, flood protection, wildlife management, watershed management, climate change adaptation and ecosystem-based planning.
Activities to Achieve Goal D:
- Identify opportunities to integrate wetlands with other water quality, water quantity, floodplain management, and biodiversity-focused programs.
- Consider wetland and water management issues through the lens of climate change and adaptation needs.
- Identify links between stream and wetland management – in particular in state dredge and fill programs – and support improved wetland and stream protection and restoration/mitigation in this context.
- Develop materials and host forums to share information about joint opportunities and common interests.
- Participate in forums hosted by other water programs and organizations.
- Identify specific program and science areas where there are opportunities to integrate wetlands into related and/or larger programs, and disseminate that information.
- Maintain existing partnerships and establish new partnerships with organizations working on related but not wetland-specific activities.
- Identify opportunities to change and revise public policy and programs to better integrate wetlands with other water programs.
- Hold meetings, webinars, conference calls, etc. to explore, share and better understand issues and challenges. Provide wetlands program information at cross-discipline meetings and conferences.
- Develop and distribute information online and through other avenues to provide ideas and direction on how to include wetlands in related and broader programs.
- Develop joint policy statements or science white papers with related organizations and programs on wetland/water program issues and opportunities.